Visit My Homepage






Welcome to the Harrington Photography Blog. Check here frequently for updates on current sessions and design projects. Enjoy the stories and photos. And, I'd love for you to leave feedback. For all the future clients, I hope that you'll choose me to be your Delaware and Columbus, Ohio photographer for weddings, engagements, portraits, maternity, newborns, children, families, seniors, pets, and more! My goal is for you to "enjoy your moment..." while I capture all the memories!







Visit the Harrington Photography homepage: http://www.harringtonphotos.net/







Friday, June 1, 2012

Delaware, Ohio Travel Photographer: Europe Vacation Day 4 - Vatican City, Rome, Italy

Day 4 was our last full day in Rome, Italy.  I knew I was going to miss the place.  Today was our big day at the Vatican.  We had an early tour with Laura again, and took the subway to meet her at the Vatican, across town.  The size and length of the walls outside the Vatican were amazing.  Finally, we were inside, and could see the cupola of St. Peter's Basilica.


She first took us to tour the Belvedere Courtyard of the Vatican Museum.  She sat us down and told us the history of the Vatican and about the Sistine Chapel.  She showed us sample artwork so we'd know what we're looking at.  We sat right next to this modern artwork - Sphere within a Sphere.


We learned about all the sculptures in the museum, down to every detail.  This is Laocoon and his sons.


There were halls of statues, tapestries, and maps.  This was the ceiling in the gallery of maps.


Shhhh... don't tell.  This is a forbidden photo of the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel!  They are VERY strict about photos, but I was able to position my camera at my waist, and Kelly faked a cough to cover the sound of the shutter... and voila!


This is the hall the cardinals will walk down as they leave the Sistine Chapel once they've selected the next Pope.


Next, we entered St. Peter's Basilica.  Here is a view of the covered altar.


And the ceiling...


The Pieta... behind glass after a crazy tried to break it with a hammer.


The cupola/ceiling of St. Peter's Basilica.  The detail is so amazing!


Adam and I at the main altar in St. Peter's Basilica.


Flea made it to the Vatican today, too!


St. Peter's Basilica from St. Peter's Square.




Here we all are in front of St. Peter's.


I wrote my postcards in the warm sun in St. Peter's Square, and mailed them from the exclusive Vatican Post Office.


After the Vatican, we walked to Castel Sant' Angelo.  There were many street performers along the way.  It took us a minute to tell if some of them were human or statue.  This is a human...


Castel Sant' Angelo.


As we walked around town, there were more and more beautiful churches.  This church, Chiesa Nuova, really stood out to me because of all the gold!


This alleyway and restaurant just "looked" like Italy to me.  I love the culture and architecture!!


Next, we made a stop at the Pantheon.


Another beautiful cathedral.  And, the ceiling has an open hole.  I believe the steeple was stolen back in the day by Barberini to melt the bronze for St. Peter's Basilica.


This is just one advantage of learning basic Italian - getting a guard to pose with Flea.  He would not hold him, though!


Beautiful statue in Basilica Giacomo.


Alas, our dinky hotel bathroom.  I do miss this hotel and city though.  It started to feel very comfortable and familiar by the time we left.


That night, Adam and I didn't want our time in Rome to end, so we went back out to see the lights, on our own.  We walked past the Quirinale again to see the fountain.


From the Quirinale, we could see St. Peter's Basilica lit up.


Then we walked to the Trevi Fountain again.  We brought our coins to toss over our shoulder, because we are certain we want to return to Rome!!



Then, we enjoyed the peace on the Spanish Steps.  Not too many people were still out at 1am.





My view from the bottom of the steps... the city streets were so quiet.  It was a great end to an amazing time in Rome.  But, the best news was that our vacation was only just beginning.  Tomorrow, we board our cruise!!


No comments: